Mill Green Gospel Hall is a Christian church made up of different people who have something in common: we are followers of Jesus Christ who want to worship Him and please Him in the way that we live.
We take our lead from the Bible, where we read that the members of the New Testament church continued steadfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers. (Acts 2.42)
The best way to find out more about us is to come along to one of our meetings, where you can be sure of a warm welcome. We hope to see you soon.
WHO WE ARE
The Gospel Halls are a collection of independent evangelical churches, sometimes known as ‘assemblies’. We are independent because our beliefs and practices are determined at a local level by the elders of each assembly, who seek to follow the Bible as faithfully as possible, rather than by a central organisation.
Though independent, the Gospel Halls are nevertheless a collection in the sense that we tend to share certain aspects of doctrine and practice and have fellowship with one another.
At the time of writing approximately thirty to forty of us meet together each Lord’s Day morning, with that number being a little lower for most of the other meetings. We come from different backgrounds and a wide range of ages are represented, including a number of young children.
A Christian Testimony Since 1895
The story of Mill Green Gospel Hall begins back in 1895 when Mr. Bishop of The Church Army held meetings from his caravan on Mill Green Common. Out of this and a three week visit by Mr Humphries of The Counties Work the following year grew a group of dedicated Christians. They met on The Common during the summer and used available local homes when the colder, darker days prevailed.
Various meetings were held at Woodside Cottages, including a regular group attended by around forty children. More space was needed and so a Sunday School commenced in a larger home, now known as Ivy Cottage. This also became the venue for other activities, including mid-week prayer meetings and Bible teaching sessions. As numbers increased so did the need for a permanent meeting place, and after much prayer the decision was taken to build.
With twenty-four people in fellowship the work began, and in November 1902 was completed. The cost of building Mill Green Gospel Hall in 1902 was £303 11/9d. The Hall remained architecturally similar for many years but in the early eighties it was extended and modernised to accommodate a range of activities. Recent improvements to the building in 2007 include new entrance doors and double glazed windows in the front hall.
But of course the church refers primarily to the people, not the building in which they meet. At the time of writing about forty of us meet together each Lord’s Day morning, with that number being a little lower for most of the other meetings. We come from different backgrounds and a wide range of ages are represented, including a good number of young children. It would be a blessing to have you come and visit us soon.